• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Great Cleric (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:06 pm Reply with quote

(The) Great Cleric (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 10 volumes, written by Broccoli Lion, illustrated by Sime)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio:
Cloud Hearts
Yokohama Animation Lab

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, slice of life

Themes: aristocracy, demi-humans, elves, iseaki, medieval, monsters, reincarnation, sorcery, undead

Plot Summary: One moment, a certain salaryman is on cloud nine, that promotion finally within his grasp, and the next, he's keeled over pain, and that was all she wrote. Luckily for him, fate had a bit more to say.

A world of magic, monsters, and other such life-shortening entities awaits his newly reincarnated self for a second shot at life. With nothing but his past-life experiences and sharp business skills to guide him in the foreign lands of Galdardia, he takes up the name Luciel and vows that his (next) demise will be from naught but old age.

Air Date & Platform:
July 6, 2023 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:34 pm; edited 4 times in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:20 am Reply with quote
Edited because my attempt to make columns was a mess.

So as Isekai have continued to accumulate, I've sort of developed a rough sorting system.

And opinions vary, but here's a subject to debate example.

One and Done: A trifecta of unlikable, unoriginal, and shoddily put together (Fruit of Evolution)

Two if Lucky: Too Unlikable, or unoriginal, or shoddily done (Dungeon of Black Company).

Three Episode Rule Fail: Okay, but so blandly paint by number they have no soul and taper out (Isekai Cheat Magician).

Three Episode Rule Pass: Bargain Basement standard, but still watchable (Black Summoner) Varies from barely to solidly.

Isekai Well Done: Competently produced with something fresh and original in premise or presentation. Very enjoyable experience (Handyman Saito).

Plain Excellent (Konosuba).

I'll give all of the upcoming crop of new summer isekai a shot, but the ones I'm holding out real hope for in terms of looking forward to them every week are this one (The Great Cleric), the one about the vending machine, and Sweet Reincarnation. I wouldn't mind being wrong about the others though.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:32 pm Reply with quote
So I finally watched this show, and it was pretty much what I was expecting - a fairly standard isekai, but not a bog standard isekai. It seems to have a soul, and a few production values, and aspirations to being more than just a factory production rip-off. And that's fine by me. I might complain about Isekai, but I really don't ask for much.

Things I was a little "meh" about

- The weird laser targeting effect that kept zeroing in on people's faces.

- The protagonist's barrage of over the top emoting.

Things I liked.

- The character is a healer, not some OP all rounder (although the opening makes it look like he will be doing combat training at some point).

- When they measured the character's magic in whichever guild it was, there wasn't a massive flash of light, and everyone didn't immediately drop trou and offer themselves to the narrator on the spot.

- The conflict they're setting up. I assume the corrupt healers aren't going to be looking too fondly on this newbie who's apparently going to be offering reasonably priced healing.

- The protagonist having a realistic mindset and balancing ambition, integrity, and humility.

- The female paladin captain. I don't know if they're setting her up to be an Ais Wallenstein figure or not, and I don't know that she broke any new ground, but she was cool IMHO.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Yep, that went down pretty easy. For me, on the Edjwald Isekai Sorting System, this falls into Three Episode Rule Pass, Solidly Variety. Or to put it more scientifically: it don't stank. By the way, that wounded, unarmed cop who insisted on chasing the bad guy is a flipping idiot. Nice job, moron.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:40 am Reply with quote
That was a decent first episode. It still has some of the generic tropes of an isekai, but the mc being a healer and not an overpowered do-it-all helps, I also like that he has to actually work to learn the skills and magic. The world and characters seem fine and the animation is good enough.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Still liking the way the MC is working his way up from the ground floor one day at a time. There have been so many isekai protagonists who are big guns on the first day, it's good to see a...umm....little trigger?

Anyway, I also think the idea of an environment where healers are corrupt - like a kind of second ruling class - is helping create a world where it's easy to root for Luciel. The anime may not be deep or lavishly produced or god tier or anything, but it didn't just fall off of the isekai factory conveyor belt either. The show has it's own vision of what it's trying to accomplish, and Imma rooting for it.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:38 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the mc is not op and does not have any crazy skills or anything like that and he knows it. He knows what he wants to achieve and thus decides the best course to slowly work towards that. It is refreshing since most isekai shove one or more world breaking powers into the mc's face and let him or her run wild.

The world is interesting enough and our mc might bring about a change to the not properly working system of the healers. I suspect that might be needed for the healers themselves too, since they are hated so much that it will end up causing issues sooner or later.
asoka

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:58 am Reply with quote
I’m not sure how I would feel after being lumped together in a group of 10 mediocre souls for reincarnation...how does Kami-san determine a souls mediocrity anyway? I like the world, I like that the MC doesn’t at least at the moment have an easy path to becoming uber OP.

What happened to the other 9 souls anyway?

Not many Isekai worlds filled with quack doctors...hopefully the MC doesn’t end up healing a dragon or god forbid the demon lord. Solid series so far I will definitely continue watching.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:25 pm Reply with quote
asoka wrote:
I’m not sure how I would feel after being lumped together in a group of 10 mediocre souls for reincarnation...how does Kami-san determine a souls mediocrity anyway?

Maybe there's some kind of soul tag that non gods don't see? Like on mattresses. "Warning, do not remove before Judgment Day..."

asoka wrote:
What happened to the other 9 souls anyway?

That's a good question. I'm just guessing, but based on shows like Campfire Cooking and Tskukimichi (sp?) I'd put my money on them not showing up except as cameos until well near the end of season 1 and then they might become supporting characters in season 2.

Although come to think if it, if I was going to put money on it, I'd rewatch the opening and closing music sequences to see if any faces I haven't seen yet show up...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:25 am Reply with quote
asoka wrote:
I’m not sure how I would feel after being lumped together in a group of 10 mediocre souls for reincarnation... What happened to the other 9 souls anyway?

Where did they mention this? I just rewatched the beginning and the god just says, "you're being reincarnated, this is how you see your stats, you're on your own now, have a nice life." Did he pop in later on to talk about the other souls (cause I don't remember that)? oO
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:43 am Reply with quote
Oh, was it in a manga or light novel or something? I just assumed I was getting coffee from the kitchen or getting mauled by pets again.
asoka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:34 am Reply with quote
Gina

When I was reading background on what this series was about there were several sources that stated something to the effect:

That there had been I believe the god of destiny & another god gambling over something & the god of destiny lost leading the god to chose 10 mediocre souls for reincarnation. The salary man was one of those souls.

I will try to remember where I read that, I promise you I didn't make it up nor was I hallucinating. It could be that the web site where it was posted was wrong!

If that turns out to be the case I will post an apology.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:20 am Reply with quote
Well, look, an apology would be all fine and good, but frankly for a mistake of that magnitude, I think there is only one true remedy:

SEPPEKU!!!

Harsh? Perhaps. Perhaps...
asoka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:29 am Reply with quote
I was all ready to impale myself on the sword of apology when I discovered the LN novel summary:

One day, Earth’s God of Destiny, and Galdardia’s Chief God had a bet. The God of Destiny lost, and chose ten mediocre souls to hand over.

To those ten souls, the Chief God of Galdardia handed them new vessels.

And amongst those mediocre souls was one salary man who fought against his destiny of death.

The god of Destiny ends by saying that makes 10 souls I have sent you, it would be entertaining if this made some small change in the world.

Pheww...I was beginning to think I had imagined the whole thing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:49 am Reply with quote
That's ok. I just miss a lot of stuff when I'm trying to read subs, and it's nice to know for once I didn't.

Like, I keep reading the title as "The Great Clerk," because he's dressed like one from the waist up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4