• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Announces Release Date for Evangelion Director's Cut

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
josue98

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:35 am Reply with quote
So the enitre series was remastered? Or just the last six episodes? Or is there just new footage on the last six episodes and not the entire series?

Also, if the running time for the DVD is 150 min. then each episode now lasts 50 min.? Or does the running time include the special features?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:17 am Reply with quote
There's only new footage in the last six episodes (about 90% of that being in episodes 21-24, if memory serves). And that's been around in Japan since Eva's first video run, the only real hooplah over the remasters is that it has new 5.1-somesuch sound and an "OMG SHINY!!!111" video transfer. Unless you're a huge home theatre prick, it's a waste of money, really (the remasters, I mean, the director's cut footage is excellent and well worth purchase).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:00 am Reply with quote
josue98 wrote:
Also, if the running time for the DVD is 150 min. then each episode now lasts 50 min.? Or does the running time include the special features?

According to the release, the dvds will have both versions of the episodes: Director's cut and original broadcast. So the remastered vol 7 will have 21-23 original and remastered, which would equal 150 minutes.
Vekou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:38 am Reply with quote
There's something that I'm afraid that a lot of you aren't realizing.

This release is not NEW. This footage is not "re-edited into" the episodes. Anno is not trying to make additional money or anything like that. These are the original versions of the episodes! This isn't a remake, a rerelease, or anything along those lines. In fact, the words "Director's Cut" are very misleading and a sly marketing ploy on ADV's part to make this seem newer than it is.

These episodes being released are the original versions, that were edited to show on Japanese TV and later released on home video there. It is ADV's fault for waiting until 2004, eight years after their initial U.S. VHS release, to release this unedited version. The reason these episodes weren't unedited with ADV's initial, 1996 VHS release is because they were too damn impaitent to wait a few months for GAINAX to put the finishing touches on them and release them on home video in Japan! So they used the uncut, Japanese home video versions of episodes 1-20 (the ones that were already released in Japan) and then impaitently took the the TV-aired versions of episodes 21-26, and just NOW decide to go back and give us those unedited versions which came out only a few months later in Japan. If this is a licensing problem, answer me this: Why didn't ADV try to obtain the unedited version of these last 6 episodes when they released them on DVD in 2000/2001?

You're directing your anger at the wrong people. If this rerelease is anyone's fault, it's ADV's. GAINAX and Anno don't have anything to do with it, these are the uncut episodes they originally produced. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that ADV is actually tipping their hat to us diehard fans. But they should have done this years ago.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:06 am Reply with quote
Well, the term Director's Cut isn't exactly misleading, whether it's the original version or not. Most films that get a Director's Cut are in the same boat as Evangelion: the original version that was aired was trimmed for time, removing some scenes (which were filmed, edited, & post-produced alongside the rest of the film) that are later put back into the video release. All this shit that people like Lucas & Spielberg (as much as I respect them...) are pulling recently where they go and film new scenes twenty some-odd years after the fact are minority cases.

Anyway, I'm sort of with Vekou on this one. People are getting the "Revival" remasters and the "extended" episodes confused. All that extra footage that was not in the televised versions of episodes 21-26 was originally meant to be in there...produced at the same time as the rest of the episodes. However, time restraints forced some editing to scale these episodes down (it's a half-hour show + commercial breaks, no matter how revolutionary Eva was, it was still a TV show that had to adhere to that time frame).

Now, this is not to be confused with this Revival/Renaissance/Re-whatever thing going on in Japan. ALL these remastered episodes are is just Gainax going back and giving the show a fancy new stereo sound and cleaning up the video prints to make them all vibrant & colourful. The remasters have NO NEW FOOTAGE, and would only appeal to the obsessive-compulsive among Eva's fanbase.

Anyway, I don't think it's really fair to place full blame on anyone because none of us have the full story of what happened when the show was licensed. Maybe ADV was lazy/impatient, sure. But what if ADV wasn't offered the full versions of the episodes; or Gainax may have offered them the rights to the episodes as they appeared on TV, and asked for more money for the home video editions than ADV was willing to pay for or could afford. No one except the people who signed the papers & their lawyers really knows for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:53 am Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:
You're directing your anger at the wrong people. If this rerelease is anyone's fault, it's ADV's. GAINAX and Anno don't have anything to do with it, these are the uncut episodes they originally produced. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that ADV is actually tipping their hat to us diehard fans. But they should have done this years ago.

I thought these were the eps/versions from the renewal boxset that was just released in Japan.

ADV can't always do what they want, when they want too. Negotiations for these types of things can be a pain, I'm sure.
RantingOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna buy it when it comes to Canada (say 2010, the crtc / censor people here suck!). Not for the 'uber sound' as someone put it (it was great already, though some scenes need the music lowered and rei's voice increased), but for the jitter-free / cleaned up video and original episode footage. If it was re-released as a boxed set I'd consider buying it, but for alot cheaper than the original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3