• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more
You are welcome to look at the talkback but please consider that this article is over 10 years old before posting.

Forum - View topic
Did heavily edited early dubs help the industry?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgree0032

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
But US does have some egregious examples. Card Captor Sakura for TV in North America, or as they named it, Cardcaptors, was edited to hell and back by Nelvana, with emphasis on making Syaoran more prominent as the main lead. Strangely they DID produce a dub for all 70 episodes(not to be mistaken for the Animax dub)(that version didn't air in US, but I think it aired in Australia if I remember correctly...).

That was mostly all Kids WB’s doing.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:45 pm Reply with quote
TheFanCon wrote:
But here's the thing, the DB license was lucrative, so you definitely had other, more established companies like Pioneer, AnimEIGO, U.S. Renditions, or even Viz who had their eyes on the license, and the 3rd one listed was apparently on track to get it after Harmony Gold's licensing rights expired, until Gen Fukunaga's producer uncle at Toei Company stepped in and pulled some strings to get it to his nephew's start-up company after they were initially rejected.

If you think Dragon Ball would have been as successful in 1997 with two uncut episodes on VHS for $40, I don't know what to tell you. Also Toei is a business and they want to make money and they clearly see their deal with Funimation as successful.

Quote:
And we've seen a glimpse of what professional companies like Pioneer could do if they had the license, aka DBZ movies 1-3 dubbed by Ocean (which Funimation learned absolutely nothing from when they made their fake uncut editions).

The same Ocean who heavily censored the first 65 episodes of DBZ and were infamous for changing death to "sent to another dimension" and also skipped and combined tons of episodes? Ocean also produced a heavily localized version of Escaflowne that cut out all the scenes with Hitomi as a focus because Fox Kids wanted to market it to boys. Ocean also produced their own localized dub of the later seasons of DBZ for Canadian TV that was also censored and had music changes and other alterations.
TheFanCon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:02 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
If you think Dragon Ball would have been as successful in 1997 with two uncut episodes on VHS for $40, I don't know what to tell you. Also Toei is a business and they want to make money and they clearly see their deal with Funimation as successful.

It wouldn't have been (in the US), but it would most certainly be in a better place than it is now. And even with delays, it would likely have eventually found more mainstream success (the gap between the first Saban-produced dub and "Season 3" certainly didn't slow it down).

It's successful on its own merits, in spite of what an amateur licensee (which at the time it came up was unquestionably the worst possible option) did to it rather than because of it. The reason Harmony Gold dropped it the first time is because they didn't know how to censor it any more than they already did.

Quote:
The same Ocean who heavily censored the first 65 episodes of DBZ and were infamous for changing death to "sent to another dimension" and also skipped and combined tons of episodes? Ocean also produced a heavily localized version of Escaflowne that cut out all the scenes with Hitomi as a focus because Fox Kids wanted to market it to boys. Ocean also produced their own localized dub of the later seasons of DBZ for Canadian TV that was also censored and had music changes and other alterations.

Ocean is only an ADR studio, the real minds behind those decisions you mentioned were the producers of Saban, which was a company that was notorious for marketing towards whatever the lowest common denominator happened to be.

Meanwhile Ocean in the hands of Viz or Pioneer never did either of those things you mentioned.

Yes, I know about the Westwood dub and its own changes (including recycled music from Mega Man and Monster Rancher), but they were working off Funimation scripts in the end (which Terry Klassen was still working on even after the in-house shift). No competent licensing company was involved.

EDIT: I learned that it was commissioned by AB Groupe in France who had the distributing rights for DB in Europe, and they made it so that they wouldn't have to use Funimation's version.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2