• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rurouni Kenshin (TV 2023) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:12 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Well, @Tony K. while I was not left drooling and starving for more after the final episode (for now) I did enjoy my time as a whole with the series and will be tuning back in whenever it returns. Some of the arcs were very interesting and while I would have liked a bit more downtime, the group has grown on me. I also believe that I went into this with a tad too much hype, some made it out to be the return of one of the best anime in history and that makes for some unfair expectations.

I initially thought it would go a little further into the introduction of Kyoto, but they really are saving all of it for S2. Also, the Saitou fight is waaaay more underwhelming in this versus RK96. The choreography wasn't as vicious, there was hardly any mood because they ended up fighting outside instead staying within the closed walls of the dojo, thus leading to less tension, there was less blood, the animation was lazy, Saitou's stance wasn't well-drawn. I can go on and on.

Everything about '23 is much more subdued: toned-down humor, quicker and less flashy fights, even the music. I was reading the manga along with this season and looking at some episodes of '96 for comparison. And while '23 does a great job accurately adapting the manga, I feel it's missing two nuances: Kenshin's eye design for Battousai mode and a great soundtrack.

Watching the Saitou fight in this, then comparing it to the other iterations, the visual representation of Kenshin reverting from rurouni to Battousai is supposed to be a very important turning point. I like that the inflection of his voice changed accordingly, but I feel they didn't get the eyes right. He looked more serious, sure, but Liden Films has forced my hand to start nitpicking on some freaking eyes! I'll post comparisons between all three versions at some point, now that the Fall season is winding down, plus I'll have a little more free time during the holidays.

And the music. The music! The score for '23 isn't bad, but it's not particularly memorable either. Noriyuki Asakura's themes and melodies did wonders for RK96. He used a very eclectic mix of Spanish and acoustic/electric guitar, classical string and woodwind instruments, and even a little synthesizer that made everything about that series so much more sensational. The guy has a knack for wonderful compositions. Look up his stuff (not just for this, but also the Tenchuu games).

I'm sorry my hype isn't panning out. '23 is fine, but it's also a bit lackluster at parts that could use some upticks in design and choreography. Now, I'm just hoping the Kyoto arc turns out okay. After one season, I feel '96 still has a clear advantage, campiness and all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8